Marine homecoming kiss

Discuss the politics behind the gun industry.
gryphon

Marine homecoming kiss

Post by gryphon » 28 Feb 2012, 08:55

On his return from Afghanistan, Marine Sgt. Brandon Morgan receives his homecoming kiss.

Click

toyslr

Re: Marine homecoming kiss

Post by toyslr » 28 Feb 2012, 09:36

Thats just wrong on sooooooooo many levels!

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 28 Feb 2012, 09:40

+1

And yes, it's real. I was sitting at work yesterday when a coworker (a hot female who owns more guns than I do, by the way) called and said "You HAVE to go to abcnews.com. The she tells me to scroll down and this picture is their 2nd lead story!

Personally, I don't care what people do in the privacy of their bedrooms, but that made my lunch want to come up...
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 28 Feb 2012, 09:53

If I know marine lingo correctly, they have to be 'underway' for it not to be gay, right?
Embrace the Suck

Sniperjoe
Gold Member

Post by Sniperjoe » 28 Feb 2012, 10:31

I personally don't see anything wrong here.....

I mean who cares? The guys gay...so what? It's certainly not my cup of tea but it's also certainly none of my business either. 

The guys more of a man than I am, I don't have the balls to sign up and serve over there that's for damn sure. 

gryphon

Post by gryphon » 28 Feb 2012, 17:43

Umm, seriously? You don't see anything wrong? There is no way that lei is regulation!

CenCalSplicer

Post by CenCalSplicer » 29 Feb 2012, 17:40

gryphon wrote:Umm, seriously? You don't see anything wrong? There is no way that lei is regulation!
:agree: I'm keeping the rest of my comments to myself.

Ariac

Post by Ariac » 01 Mar 2012, 12:31

I am a Marine and honestly I don't have don't see anything wrong with it. Hell its the character of the person, not his sexual prefrence that should matter. Semper Fi

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 01 Mar 2012, 13:52

toyslr wrote:Thats just wrong on sooooooooo many levels!
Is he kissing you?
Are you taking the picture if so why? (I know you didn't, but the point remains)
Would it be as offensive if it were two hot women? (don't lie ;-) )

I used to give a s**t about this kind of stuff until I realized that it doesn't affect me personally. The man served his country, which at this point is still a free one... let him have his moment with someone who obviously cares that he's returned home safely.

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 01 Mar 2012, 15:09

To answer your question Zhurdan here

Gonna step into the fire here for a minute. Ya the image of the two guys may be a PDA violation, its commonly know that returning vets from a deployment get a break on PDA violations. I have seen straight people get away with worse. Before DADT was repealed I served with several gay and lesbian personal, and they did the job just like anyone else. Why should they have to serve in constant risk of being kicked out for their sexual orientation. What does being gay have to do with their military service and why should it have anything to do with it? The same arguments made against the DADT repeal were also made when African Americans were allowed to serve.

If this was a cultural symbol after WWII

How is it much different from this

Why is that offensive and this is considered "a touching photo"

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 01 Mar 2012, 15:46

firestorm248 wrote:To answer your question Zhurdan here
How is it much different from this

It's very simple. We see men & women kissing all the time and heterosexual contact is considered "normal" in today's society.

With regard to homosexual (gay/lesbian) PDAs, especially kissing, there is a double standard in this country. Two women kissing, while found to be disagreeable for some, is accepted and even found to be stimulating by many. Men kissing each other is not depicted in any regular kind of a fashion in the mainstream media and is considered by most, at this point in time, to be offensive or worse.

Just call me Captain Obvious for making the above statements, but I don't understand why it's confusing that some would feel revulsion from viewing that tender male on male homecoming picture. I'm not making any judgements, just stating facts with regard to current mores in this country.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 01 Mar 2012, 16:13

Zhurdan wrote:
toyslr wrote:Thats just wrong on sooooooooo many levels!
Is he kissing you?
Are you taking the picture if so why? (I know you didn't, but the point remains)

I used to give a s**t about this kind of stuff until I realized that it doesn't affect me personally. The man served his country, which at this point is still a free one... let him have his moment with someone who obviously cares that he's returned home safely.
:agree:
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

gryphon

Post by gryphon » 01 Mar 2012, 20:39

firestorm248 wrote:Image

No one is saying this guy has to transform himself into a heterosexual, but at least stop acting like a girl. Have some self-respect.

Plus, show me a picture of a female Marine or soldier in uniform jumping up on her husband this way. I thought there was supposed to be some respect for the uniform?

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 02 Mar 2012, 06:43

Zhurdan:

Is he kissing you?

Uhhhhhhhhhhmmmmm NO he's not!

Looks like a publicty stunt to me in attempt to maybe incite those that believe in "don't ask, don't tell"

Depends if they were both butt naked and looked like Jill Kelly

I stated me opinion based on the fact that there is an honor and a mindset that goes with the uniform. Also on the fact that this looks like a set up,once again my opinion.
If you don't like that then, i'm sorry for you but the same thing that allolws him to do this allows me to state my opinion..

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 02 Mar 2012, 07:24

gryphon wrote: No one is saying this guy has to transform himself into a heterosexual, but at least stop acting like a girl. Have some self-respect.

Plus, show me a picture of a female Marine or soldier in uniform jumping up on her husband this way. I thought there was supposed to be some respect for the uniform?
Lol. The guy just got back from somewhere in the desert. I'd say that qualifies him as not acting like a girl. Nothing is wrong with the picture except excessive PDA. It is no worse than the other pictures though.

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 02 Mar 2012, 07:37

toyslr wrote:Zhurdan:

Is he kissing you?

Uhhhhhhhhhhmmmmm NO he's not!

Looks like a publicty stunt to me in attempt to maybe incite those that believe in "don't ask, don't tell"

Depends if they were both butt naked and looked like Jill Kelly

I stated me opinion based on the fact that there is an honor and a mindset that goes with the uniform. Also on the fact that this looks like a set up,once again my opinion.
If you don't like that then, i'm sorry for you but the same thing that allolws him to do this allows me to state my opinion..
Dude... not picking a fight. You have every right to say what you want... as do I. I'm not mad, I just asked questions that held a bit more to them than they showed on the surface in hopes to make people think a little. Here, I'll break it down a little.

1. Is he kissing you? If not, why is it any of our business?

2. Are you taking the picture and if so, why? It's most definitely a publicity stunt and someone wanted to make a point of it. Is that the soldiers fault that someone with a camera wanted to exploit them? I'd say no to it being the soldiers fault. I'd say the photographer started talking with folks before the arrival, keyed in on this guy waiting for his buddy/partner/man and sat there like a lioness ready to pounce.

3. Would it be as offensive if it were two hot women? (don't lie ;-) ). Damn skippy it wouldn't be as offensive because that's been slowly chipped away as not being "taboo" anymore. As others have said, society is changing viewpoints. Either you choose to accept it or you don't. That doesn't mean I'm going to run out and kiss some dude though. I'm gonna be me, and they can be them. Tadaaaa.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 02 Mar 2012, 08:21

We're more concerned about clean water ...

:)

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 02 Mar 2012, 08:46

1. Is he kissing you? If not, why is it any of our business?

Its our business because it was made our business when the photo went public!
Both contributors (couple kissing) i'm sure signed a disclosure. So they chose to make it public.
It will be interesting to see the U.S. Marines response to this and if there are any disciplinary actions, its a first for sure but there is a stated military code of conduct.

2. Are you taking the picture and if so, why? It's most definitely a publicity stunt and someone wanted to make a point of it. Is that the soldiers fault that someone with a camera wanted to exploit them? I'd say no to it being the soldiers fault. I'd say the photographer started talking with folks before the arrival, keyed in on this guy waiting for his buddy/partner/man and sat there like a lioness ready to pounce.

Once again the MARINE (not a soldier) chose to have the pictures published. You don't jsut take a picture and use it without the people in its permission, if so you open yourself to potential liabilities.

3. Would it be as offensive if it were two hot women? (don't lie ;-) ). Damn skippy it wouldn't be as offensive because that's been slowly chipped away as not being "taboo" anymore. As others have said, society is changing viewpoints. Either you choose to accept it or you don't. That doesn't mean I'm going to run out and kiss some dude though. I'm gonna be me, and they can be them. Tadaaaa.

I don't think I would have a problem with this as much as I do if it was "just" a kiss! Jumping up and wrapping himself around is partner is what is over the top. He is in uniform, he is a MARINE, act like it! In the other examples of pictures there is not one instance where the person in uniform is putting themselves in this position. Show some respect for the heritage of those that came before you...

Zhurdan

Post by Zhurdan » 02 Mar 2012, 09:22

Toyslr,

We may have to agree to disagree and that's fine by me.

Honestly though, it's your business because you MADE it your business.

Sorry for not being savvy on the Marine vs Soldier thing. I respect what either of them do.

I'm sure they respect the uniform, but would you consider it any less disrespectful in the pic of the civilian woman wrapping her legs around the "person in uniform"? I only ask this because you seem to be very brass tacks about it. Goose and gander and all that jazz.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 02 Mar 2012, 11:28

No I wouldn't because their not the one in uniform! the picture of the two women kissing doesn't bother me because their is a civility or respect going on.
Him jumping in his lovers arms like a flaming homo in uniform is disrespectfull..

Nothing wrong agreeing to disagree. I don't take it personal but I do look at this as a plant or a photo op to push "don't ask don't tell" to see where the limits land