Pulling Bullets

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

Bax

Pulling Bullets

Post by Bax » 06 Sep 2012, 18:08

Im just going to share this bit of learning just in case anyone ever needs to pull a bullet and need a little help:

The other day I was loading up some new rounds to test out and I over adjusted my die and seated the bullet far to deep. Crap! Well, I did what any reloader would do and pulled out my RCBS Impact Bullet Puller like the one below.

Well, the problem with the impact bullet puller and the 5.7x28 is that the cartridge is far to small in diameter to work with the little adjustable case holder that the puller comes with and when I tried to get the bullet to pop out, the case just flew right on past the case holder and didnt dislodge the bullet to the lease degree.

Now what?

After thinking for a moment, I decided to insert my shell holder from my press and use that instead. So I placed the cartridge in the shell holder, turned it upside down and inserted it into the bullet puller and screwed on the end piece to secure the shell holder. Three firm whacks later, the bullet popped out!

I know this is a silly story, but Im sure many of us have seated a bullet too deep and didnt know how to get the bullet out. So I hope this will save you some time and frustration rather than running out and trying to find a collet bullet puller that could mangle the bullet in the process.

Hope this helps someone one day

srt-4_jon

Re: Pulling Bullets

Post by srt-4_jon » 06 Sep 2012, 18:13

I just use a collet puller.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 06 Sep 2012, 18:17

Actually this reloader sets the round aside & keeps going. Then goes back & switches to a collet type puller to remove the offending bullet :p

This is first instance that I've heard of the kinetic hammer actually working with this round. I am guessing it is because you were using your own loads, not the factory rounds. Usually the bullets are too light for the hammer to be effective.
Nevertheless, trying the shell holder was a good idea; I wouldn't have thought of trying it.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Bax

Post by Bax » 06 Sep 2012, 18:22

I would generally use a collet puller as well. But sometimes I set it wrong and really goober up the bullet to the point that the bullet really gets scratched up, so I prefer to use an impact puller because the bullet comes out near perfect.

galexander

Post by galexander » 13 Apr 2015, 13:09

I can't remember if I found the answer to this earlier but anyway I couldn't today. My 195s are glued in too well to simply pull with a collet puller. I thought I had read that the best way to fix this was to use the seating die to break the glue. However, I have to use enough force in the press that the seating die puts a ring around the bullet about 1/8" from the tip. I tried soaking and agitating the rounds in simple green and water first and that didn't seem to help. I am using a CH4 seating die. Is something wrong with my seating die? Am I just a moron? Any advice?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 13 Apr 2015, 16:09

That is the best way to break the factory bullets loose, did your dies come with other seating plugs? If so, you might try one of those.
As long as the damage isn't severe, I doubt the ring will effect the bullet ballistics enough to worry about.
I don't think you are doing anything wrong or that there is anything wrong with your die. These bullets were only meant to come out of the case one way, when you use another way something has to give.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

jkelley209

Post by jkelley209 » 13 Apr 2015, 18:25

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04DK2f0Kt-c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 13 Apr 2015, 19:07

Rapier1772 wrote:These bullets were only meant to come out of the case one way, when you use another way something has to give.

Bingo.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 13 Apr 2015, 20:17

jkelley209 wrote:
The kinetic hammer won't work with factory 5.7 rounds, the bullets are too light & being glued in offers too much resistance.
The RCBS collet one would work but the Hornady Cam-Lock is much quicker

Now that I finally have mine set properly , it didn't take me hardly any time to pull down 300 rounds. The only catch is making sure the doo-dad is screwed down far enough :laugh:

I don't think of that is his issue though, it's the breaking the bullets loose from the glue that is causing the problem. I think it's just cosmetics, you want your rounds looking pretty :D

galexander

Post by galexander » 13 Apr 2015, 20:41

The CH4 only came with only one seating plug and it really noticeably puts ring dent around the tip. It is as if the plug is a simple 1/8" tube. I am pretty sure that it will effect the airflow over the bullet. The collet puller I am using is the RCBS. I only have 150 or so of the 195s and will happily switch to pulling the cheaper American Eagle lead FMJs. I am not terribly interested in the aluminum bullets anyway.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 13 Apr 2015, 22:01

The marks will have no affect at all in any way to the airflow. Well under the boundary layer.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 13 Apr 2015, 22:37

galexander wrote:The CH4 only came with only one seating plug and it really noticeably puts ring dent around the tip. It is as if the plug is a simple 1/8" tube. I am pretty sure that it will effect the airflow over the bullet. The collet puller I am using is the RCBS. I only have 150 or so of the 195s and will happily switch to pulling the cheaper American Eagle lead FMJs. I am not terribly interested in the aluminum bullets anyway.
Doubt it will change anything but you might want to reconsider the aluminum bullets, a proper load can get those things screaming right along. Velocity & tumbling will really put the hurt on a BG if necessary.
Now if you're just plinking, just use what you've got.

galexander

Post by galexander » 14 Apr 2015, 12:20

Thanks Jay. I am embarrassed that I thought and spoke so carelessly about airflow. All of my thinking about it has been with much larger objects at well under the speed of sound. I conflated the actual bullet with one the size of an airplane where the deformation would have been inches deep. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Rapier - From the gel tests I have seen I got the notion that the 195 bullets rarely went further than 8" or 9" and often hooked or sliced severely even though it does look like they cavitate nicely for a short distance. I'd like something that goes a bit deeper and straighter. For now I am going to carry with T6Bs. I have a lot of the older batches of Lehighs that I will start noodling with as soon as my new barrel arrives. The only gel test I have seen for those is that image from Grimmond. I am hoping that they usually penetrate straighter. I like reloading and shooting gel as much as anything and like to see for myself.

galexander

Post by galexander » 20 Apr 2015, 10:23

Okay, I found that just really tightening the puller down and then really tightening the collet did less damage than the seating die. Ican live with this amount of deformation.