New Custom Slide Cover (Plastic with front slide serrations)

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

srt-4_jon

Re: New Slide Cover (Plastic)

Post by srt-4_jon » 28 Nov 2012, 21:19

Why not just find someone with a 3d printer? They are cheap in comparison. I know of quite a few locals that have them.

Onejzsupra
custom title: Submarines Once!

Post by Onejzsupra » 28 Nov 2012, 21:25

srt-4_jon wrote:Why not just find someone with a 3d printer? They are cheap in comparison. I know of quite a few locals that have them.

You have to be careful with those, a guy had a blog where he planned on make a gun with one. As soon as the company found out they cancelled his contract and sent people to take all of the equipment that day.

Valorius
Banned
custom title: 5.7 proponent

Post by Valorius » 28 Nov 2012, 21:45

I'm sure one could buy a 3D printer outright that the manufacturer couldn't just take back.

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 29 Nov 2012, 02:09

He isn't printing a gun, he is printing a plastic sculpture. And I'm sure it would be cheap to get one printed
If you want, I can ask a local what all he would need to make it

s-industries
Gold Member
custom title: M.E.

Post by s-industries » 29 Nov 2012, 05:38

The part you seen in the photos is a 3D printed part. It is the only way to get this type of project off the ground with no equipment/tooling costs. 3D printers are cheap in comparison to IM tools, but still expensive considering the project.

I could sell this a little cheaper (probably even hit that $75 mark) if I sold the same basic piece as the prototype. As you can see though, the color and surface finish is different. I'm also planning on using a more durable (and more expensive) material for the production parts. I don't think the prototype material would hold up as well to the red dot mount I have planned.

I guess I could offer an 'economy' version.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 29 Nov 2012, 06:40

I think an economy version would be a good idea. For most, the cover is really just cosmetic, so a rough piece the customer could finish either by sanding or painting (Duracoat, for example) would make the color difference and texture a non-issue. They could also help generate the capital to fund the real deal.

Valorius
Banned

Post by Valorius » 29 Nov 2012, 08:01

Good idea Freeze.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Nov 2012, 10:45

s-industries wrote:The part you seen in the photos is a 3D printed part. It is the only way to get this type of project off the ground with no equipment/tooling costs. 3D printers are cheap in comparison to IM tools, but still expensive considering the project.

I could sell this a little cheaper (probably even hit that $75 mark) if I sold the same basic piece as the prototype. As you can see though, the color and surface finish is different. I'm also planning on using a more durable (and more expensive) material for the production parts. I don't think the prototype material would hold up as well to the red dot mount I have planned.

I guess I could offer an 'economy' version.

Don't waste your time going cheap. In the end no one will be happy with the product.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Valorius
Banned

Post by Valorius » 29 Nov 2012, 11:06

As long as the quality is good, an unfinished slide cover would still be a useful and viable alternative IMO. The user could just duracoat or spray it themselves, whatever color they wanted. That takes care of having to offer 100 different color options too. OP could then branch out to offer custom finishing of the covers...for a fee. ;)

s-industries
Gold Member

Post by s-industries » 29 Nov 2012, 17:18

This wouldn't be going cheap in the bad sense of the word. The two main reasons for the higher cost material are strength for a red dot mount and surface finish/color. The lower cost material should be fine for just a cover. It's got a bit lower modulus but that's not really a bad thing, and I actually like the finish on the prototype (although it's not for everyone).

I think I could offer three different options:

1. A 'DIY' cover. This would be the cheapest purchase cost and would be for those who want to do a little sanding and coating (although I need to check the 'paint-ability'). This cover would come in the white (literally, it would be white).

2. A 'Standard' cover. This would basically be like the prototype. Switching to the black color adds a bit onto the cost. Sanding is not recommended as the black plastic is only used on the exterior surfaces (so if you sanded into it you'd hit white).

3. A 'Premium' cover. This would utilize the higher strength material and would be set up for the red dot mount.

Still don't expect $7, or even $50, but it should come in quite a bit lower than $100.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 29 Nov 2012, 17:36

That would be a plus for those of us without red dot intentions

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 29 Nov 2012, 17:37

I am curious, depending on the 'paint-ability' of the DIYs, if EA's custom cover patterns would also work?

Personally, I have no desire for a red dot on mine & don't mind doing a little sanding. I liked the set up & finish in the above pics (especially the zombie thing :laugh: ) except for the back - would have to smooth out those horizontal lines somehow.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Valorius
Banned

Post by Valorius » 30 Nov 2012, 04:33

That's a great idea S-industries. Multiple options means multiple customers. ;)

s-industries
Gold Member

Post by s-industries » 01 Dec 2012, 20:44

I'll do the next prototype in plain white. The local gun shop does cerakote so I'll talk to them about giving it a shot.

I think we may have to do a special run of "Blue's Tactical Zombie Killer" models :laugh:

Valorius
Banned

Post by Valorius » 02 Dec 2012, 10:58

S-industries: "Yes, I would sell tons of these if they were $50, and I would lose money on each sale....good business?"

-----

It seems to work for Glock. ;)

They have literally given away their guns to get the market share they now enjoy. Much harder for a niche product for a niche gun, obviously...but it has been done. Others have no doubt tried similar tactics and failed miserably!

I do understand what you're saying though. Make 10000 of them and you could probably sell them for $20 each and make a great profit. Make 10, and $100 is the order of the day...

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 02 Dec 2012, 13:01

When it is a major company that has already raked in millions through guns sales & government contracts, then they can afford to give stuff away.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Post by Mister Freeze » 02 Dec 2012, 13:44

s-industries wrote:I'll do the next prototype in plain white. The local gun shop does cerakote so I'll talk to them about giving it a shot.

I think we may have to do a special run of "Blue's Tactical Zombie Killer" models :laugh:

Don't call it white: to improve sales, call it something tacticool like "Arctic Combat White." ;)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 02 Dec 2012, 15:42

Valorius wrote:S-industries: "Yes, I would sell tons of these if they were $50, and I would lose money on each sale....good business?"

-----

It seems to work for Glock. ;)

They have literally given away their guns to get the market share they now enjoy. Much harder for a niche product for a niche gun, obviously...but it has been done. Others have no doubt tried similar tactics and failed miserably!

I do understand what you're saying though. Make 10000 of them and you could probably sell them for $20 each and make a great profit. Make 10, and $100 is the order of the day...
Really? They give their guns away? You have proof of that?

Glocks cost about $500 for base models. You know how much it costs Glock to make one model vs how much they sell it to distributors?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

Valorius
Banned

Post by Valorius » 04 Dec 2012, 13:12

Rapier1772 wrote:When it is a major company that has already raked in millions through guns sales & government contracts, then they can afford to give stuff away.
Glock was an upstart when they started all that. With exactly one product. A plastic handgun. Hell, they still only have one product, really.

Fortune favors the bold. ~Homer

@Blue:

Yes... Glock has given away guns to police departments. Lots of them. They also regularly sell them for a loss to departments as well. Yes, i have proof, as could anyone that did any research on the subject.

It is a common business practice. Whether it be airfare price wars where the airlines lose money hand over fist, Auto maker low financing promotional offers where Ford and Chevy, etc, etc compete against one another, costing themselves literally hundreds of millions in potential long term interest payments in order to increase their market share. Or whether it be a private investigator in Philly undercutting his competitors prices, even though he does so at a loss, to get his foot in the door.

This goes on every single day in numerous industries. Like i said...common business practice.

Of course that was not even a major point in my last post, but whatever.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 04 Dec 2012, 16:16

Okay, I've searched ALL over the web and I can't find one single instance of a situation where Glock 'gave away' firearms to any LE force.
I can find where Glock donated money to LE Memorial Funds...
I can find where Glock submitted samples for testing...
I can find where Glock submitted LE dealers and wholesalers dealer samples...
I can even find where Glock 'gave away' promotional items like Wall Posters to Dealers who did so much in volume sales (is it really 'free' if you have to reach a certain sales point in order to get it? I'm just saying...) but I can't find anywhere that Glock gave away firearms to LE departments or military.
So...I'm curious. Can you point me to your references?

Or were you just making it up?
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**