need help on which reloading dies to purchase?

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

omega57

need help on which reloading dies to purchase?

Post by omega57 » 18 May 2015, 21:57

Hi, guys. I'm a new guy reloading the 5.7 pistol and ps90. I've been reloading now for 30 plus years. I really enjoy reloading the 5.7 round. A lot of the load info, I got from the forum. Good stuff! But I ran into a little problem with my Lee dies. The die just could not set the shoulders back to factory specs. I removed a few thousands from the bottom of the Lee die, but now eevery time a resize the casings, the coating on the brass is scratched off. I know I have to reorder new dies, but my question to you guys is, which are the best dies I can purchase with out spending alot of money.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: need help on which reloading dies to purchase?

Post by Rapier1772 » 19 May 2015, 08:00

Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 19 May 2015, 12:29

RCBS SMALL BASE dies verk Just Fine for GONRA.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 19 May 2015, 20:47

Page 10, first thread in the reloading section, all sorts of recent die info, and a link to old die info.

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic ... &start=180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grimmond
Gold Member

Post by grimmond » 19 May 2015, 22:06

Just because they scratch the lacquer off does not necessary mean you need a new set of dies. Before spending anymore money on new dies, try getting your hands on some mother's mag wheel buffing polish. Put some on a shotgun patch wrapped around a .30cal nylon cleaning brush and chuck it in a drill. Make sure you keep the brush moving in and out and pay special attention to the inside edge at the entry. I ran about 3 patches like that for about 1 min a piece on my last set of finicky RCBS dies and the rinsed out the residue with carb cleaner. I then sprayed them with Hornady one shot and let that dry. They stopped scratching the lacquer.
"Let us never forget that good intelligence saves American lives and protects our freedom."
-Ronald Reagan

Bazzer69
Silver Member
custom title: Erk of the first ord

Post by Bazzer69 » 19 May 2015, 22:41

I have both the Lee dies and the RCBS. The Lee didn't seem to do a great job in resizing. The RCBS are great. I would try the CH4d dies if I could get a set. My cancelled my order after been told it would be several months before I could get a set despite being promised a two week delivery. I'm very satisfied with the RCBS
As far as the coating goes I have a different solution than anyone else has suggested here on the forum as far as I can see. I like to clean my spent cases before resizing with a short rinse in my Ultasonic cleaner. I decap then resize followed by trimming and finally back in the Ultasonic for a good clean. This is followed by a check of every case in a go/ no go gauge. I then resize one again and load primers, powder and bullets usually in my Dillon 550. But here is my big difference, for lube on the cases prior to resizing I use Master Blaster Dry Teflon. I do not remove it from the finished rounds and so far after about 1000 rounds I have never had a case stuck in the die or any kind of feed problem when shooting.
Oh, I of course check every finished round with the go/ no go gauge and a overall weight check on a digital scale as a kind of finished product QA check. Hope this helps, but I'm sure I'll get a,couple of,sarcastic PM's as I alway seem to do for some reason.

Bazzer

Who Dares Wins