Measuring powder with a Dillon 550B

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

Bazzer69
Silver Member
custom title: Erk of the first ord

Measuring powder with a Dillon 550B

Post by Bazzer69 » 11 Apr 2015, 20:55

Can you get good results with using the powder dispenser provided with the Dillon 550B, I assume you would use the small powder bar. I know that it's recommended when loading 5.7 you need to be accurate to within .1 grains. Or should I use a scale for every round, in which case there is not much reason to use a progressive press. I read that a number of reloaders use a 550 so I would love to find out their experiences
Bazzer

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Measuring powder with a Dillon 550B

Post by Rapier1772 » 11 Apr 2015, 23:03

I do not trust powder drops to be consistent with the 5.7 round, I scale every load. Dillon does have a powder die & funnel set up that you can use in the 550, it's what I use when I need/want more control over the powder charge. You still need the individual funnels to go inside the die but it makes it so that there is no need to pull out the casing from the press to do the powder.

You still get the reliability of scaling every load but you can also still use a progressive if that's what you like.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » 12 Apr 2015, 05:09

Its not recommended. However, I use mine. Yes, small powder bar. When I setup, I run around 20 test throws to see what my powder is dropping at before loading any and then check it every once in a while to verify its still throwing correctly. I have a LED light setup so I can visually check each case as I move it to station 3 after charging, I go slowly when loading 5.7, unlike 45acp which I load rather quickly. I also do not load for anything but plinking rounds and have plenty of room for a .1 - .2 error. If I was loading any round to where I was working up to a max charge, I'd measure each charge. Ball powders like Accurate #5 and 7, Ramshot True Blue seem to throw very consistent in my Dillon, whereas flake and stick powders may not be as consistent. My Dillon powder throw has proven to be very consistent with Bullseye (45acp/9mm), Accurate #5&7 (45ACP/5.7), True Blue (5.7), H335 (5.56), and not so consistent w/ Unique(45acp/9mm), and Blue Dot (5.7). YMMV! So be methodical and careful if you go this route. I loaded 5.7 over a year single stage until I decided to go with the Dillon, and got comfortable on the Dillon w/ other calibers before attempting 5.7. The progressive is a little "overwhelming" at first since so much is going on with each pull of the lever, but experience builds confidence and knowledge of what can go wrong, and where.

Oldbindlestiff
Gold Member

Post by Oldbindlestiff » 12 Apr 2015, 07:20

Same as my experience with a Dillon 450B, dropping Bullseye. I scaled every fifth one to check, but, the amount dropped was so consistent that sometimes I did not bother. But, if you are near a max (particularly with the 5.7), weigh them all. Safe always beats sorry!
Karma. Serving up justice one a**hole at a time.

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 20 Apr 2015, 16:21

Rapier1772 wrote:I do not trust powder drops to be consistent with the 5.7 round, I scale every load. Dillon does have a powder die & funnel set up that you can use in the 550, it's what I use when I need/want more control over the powder charge. You still need the individual funnels to go inside the die but it makes it so that there is no need to pull out the casing from the press to do the powder.

You still get the reliability of scaling every load but you can also still use a progressive if that's what you like.

Can you let me know which Dillon powder die and funnel to order?

Thanks
Barry

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 20 Apr 2015, 17:06

I didn't order mine, just went in to local Dillon dealer saw it, grabbed it, bought it. Didn't even look at the name/model. Works perfectly. Probably the AT 500 Powder Die (Stock Number: 16629)
The dealer I went to had it & the black funnel (which Dillon sells separately) in the same package & I think it was cheaper than what Dillon has listed on their website :ponder:

You'll still need the powder funnel which goes inside the die & actually contacts the shell, same as the auto drop setup. For the 5.7 it is the size A funnel, same as for the .223
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

Bazzer69
Silver Member

Post by Bazzer69 » 26 Apr 2015, 21:59

Just to let anyone who is interested know, I purchased the Dillon powder funnel "A" and it works a treat, pretty constant loads. I'm using 5gn of Power Pistol with no signs of,over pressure. I don't have a chrono so I can't check the speeds. But since I'm shooting 40gn VMax, it's just fine for plinking.
Yes, loading 5.7is a little tricky, but it's working fine for me. Today I shot off 30 rounds I reloaded without any issue. Tomorrow I've got 100 to try. I am using the Elite go/ no go gauge to check the finished rounds along with weighing every one.