Is there any end in sight for the powder shortage?

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

catalina2014

Post by catalina2014 » 29 Oct 2014, 08:22

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Is there any end in sight for the powder shortage?

Post by Rapier1772 » 29 Oct 2014, 09:19

It's the same deal as the ammo shortage.
Shelves were stripped bare but they are starting to fill up again now that people aren't as afraid of losing their gun rights. It's going to take time to get back to the way things were but it is happening.
Disclaimer: it's probably going to happen slower in areas where the politicians are still anti-gun but around here, the shelves are getting better stocked with ammo and reloading components.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

catalina2014

Post by catalina2014 » 29 Oct 2014, 11:49

I haven't seen any pistol powder in like forever. Yesterday I accidently left my garage door open. A thief stole 400 rds of 197 and 400 rds of reloads along with 2 lbs of pistol powder. I caught the dirtbag and recovered my bike, ID'd him for the Sheriff, but I doubt they'll pick him up. Luckily I've still have enough powders for the 5.7.

acburk

Post by acburk » 29 Oct 2014, 12:29

that's crazy man

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 29 Oct 2014, 13:30

You caught him but didn't hold him? Stealing from a home is a felony & with citizen's arrest laws, you can hold people for felonies.
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.
Tactical Search Instructions & tips: http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12045

catalina2014

Post by catalina2014 » 29 Oct 2014, 15:11

It's not worth the risk of a lawsuit. I know it sounds stupid, and when I told the LE I had a can of mace with me( just cam back from a dog walk) he said I should of used it. But he's not the one forking out $10 or $20 grand on lawyers. There's scads of Lawyers just waiting to pounce. I Id'd him for LE. He's well known, they'll catch up eventually and hopefully tie my case in. It's just not worth a couple 100 bucks. I'm 56 and retired, I'd hate to have to go back to work to pay to defend myself. Even though I'm in Arizona, It's not worth it.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 29 Oct 2014, 16:54

Mace? Arizona? Isn't that an open carry state?

catalina2014

Post by catalina2014 » 30 Oct 2014, 03:03

You're right, my guard was down. In my peaceful area, few crimes happen. We always have glocks in the cars, glocks and an AR PDW in the house. When I caught up with the perp, I was checking out a piece of desert where I thought my stolen bike may have been stashed. My area of Tucson is pretty much free of crime. As for other parts, it's the wild west.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 30 Oct 2014, 08:03

Cat;

It's a giant lull in the market, right now. A LOT of supply has caught up with demand and surpassed it.

This is inclusive to 5.7x28mm ammo, 9mm ammo, 5.56 ammo; basically all the calibers that saw shortages the past few years.

Powders are still not very available, but opening up.

Firearms are definitely flooding.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Oct 2014, 09:59

I am importing powder directly from Europe for my needs.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

DocUSMCRetired

Post by DocUSMCRetired » 09 Feb 2015, 10:21

This is going to change. Hodgdons new Enduron powders are made in Canada. Making importing, and availability much better. So expect to see more powders on the shelf. BTW they claim to have the same stability as the Extreme powder line.

Ppostma1

Post by Ppostma1 » 11 Feb 2015, 15:44

Just chatted with the powder suppliers. They are catching up on back orders. I have been trying to get some for 4 months, kept shopping around and finally hit up one guy selling out of his radiator shop. Bloke was loaded, one case of -3 brands-X-each of their lines-. I got 2 lbs and I'm back to work (on .380 I'm still researching this 5.7 before I commit to buying dies and powder for it)

The big chain retailers are the one's being choked off right now. Most people go there first and buy whatever they have... and they have larger back orders than the small guys... When a manufacture completes 100 cases of powder, it looks better on numbers if they ship 2 cases each to 50 small guys, than send all of the cases to a large wholesale distributor. Write off 50 orders instead of 1.

So find your small, local guys and check them out!

wariggs

Post by wariggs » 24 Feb 2015, 19:52

I found that Midway had 1 lb bottles of True Blue available to order today. They are drop shipped in 8-10 weeks, but I have been looking for that stuff for months.

JollyRogers

Post by JollyRogers » 08 Mar 2015, 04:52

A friend invited me to go to the gun show yesterday. What a mad house!!! No parking available, and very crowded. Guessing everyone is in hysteria over the M855 ban and thought they could score some there, which I saw people leaving (early), as I was coming in, with cases of it. At ~$700 a thousand, I passed. I was there for some reloading supplies, and low and behold, found RAMSHOT TRUE BLUE!!! I only bought 2 pounds, as I was getting supplies for other calibers. I had been looking for this powder since I started reloading for 5.7, and with the weather starting to warm up, looks like I get to work up some loads with it soon :)

kmiles

Post by kmiles » 11 Mar 2015, 10:11

JollyRogers wrote:A friend invited me to go to the gun show yesterday. What a mad house!!! No parking available, and very crowded. Guessing everyone is in hysteria over the M855 ban and thought they could score some there, which I saw people leaving (early), as I was coming in, with cases of it. At ~$700 a thousand, I passed. I was there for some reloading supplies, and low and behold, found RAMSHOT TRUE BLUE!!! I only bought 2 pounds, as I was getting supplies for other calibers. I had been looking for this powder since I started reloading for 5.7, and with the weather starting to warm up, looks like I get to work up some loads with it soon :)
That should do you for 2000 rounds or so. I was at the LGS the other day, and they had lots of Hodgdon powders, but they have not seen anything from Ramshot in months. I still have about 3 pounds of TrueBlue, so I should be good for this season. I guess I will put in a in-stock notice with Wideners and wait for them to get in another shipment. They seem to get some in every couple of months.